During the summer months I am always looking for easy treats to create. Strawberry Chocolate Muffins are a perfect dessert or “anytime” treat for your entire family. Fresh ripe strawberries and few easy- to- get pantry ingredients and you’re on your way to baking something special that everyone will thank-you for; you may even be compared to Martha Steward herself.
I discovered Martha Stewart about twenty-five years ago when I was a teenager. Back then, she was the only DIYer on t.v. I loved her creativity and her ability to make everything that she touched look so beautiful. She was so inspirational as she showed off her recipes, her gardening tricks and all the countless number of DIY projects that made her home look so great. How I aspired to be like Martha Stewart! The key to her accomplishments I believe, is her unquestionable ability to make her projects and recipes look soooo easy.
So this is my Martha Stewart foolproof-moment…easy Strawberry Chocolate muffins! As we’re in the midst of summer, strawberries are at their best. I bought these beauties from a Farmer’s Market up at Wasaga Beach in Ontario.
Here it goes…
STRAWBERRY CHOCOLATE MUFFINS
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons to toss the strawberries with
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 2-1/4 cups diced strawberries
- 1/3 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners; spray the liners with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt; set aside.
- In a second bowl combine the oil, eggs, vanilla and milk. Whisk the ingredients together.
- Slowly, mix the wet ingredients into the bowl with the dry ingredients until all of the ingredients are combined; don’t over mix, the mixture will be thick and somewhat lumpy.
- In a small bowl, toss the strawberries with 2 teaspoons of flour so that the strawberries will not sink to the bottom of the batter when combined.
- Fold the strawberries and the chocolate chips to the muffin batter; mix ingredients together until combined; don’t overmix.
- Using an ice-cream scoop (or large spoon), scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin to about ¾ -full.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are lightly golden. Use a cake tester or toothpick to ensure that the muffins are baked through (the toothpick/cake tester will be clean when pulled out)
- Let the muffins cool completely in the pan for about 25 minutes.
These Summer Strawberry Chocolate Muffins are so quick to bake. They only take about 20 minutes to bake! How great is that? We can all find 20 minutes in our day! These muffins are light and fluffy and have just the right amount of sweetness. What a simple summer treat! Remember, you can change up the flavours by adding fruits that you prefer. What about a peanut butter and banana combination? Can you imagine a raspberry and peach muffin? This recipe is so versatile and most of us probably have the key ingredients waiting for us in our pantries. Make this a family experience by visiting a local farmer’s market for the freshest fruit produce or google to see what nearby farms are available where you can pick your own fruit. What an incredible experience for your children!
Here’s a free printable version of the recipe: Summer Strawberry Chocolate Muffins
What is your favourite muffin recipe?